Topic-icon Questions After First Game

• con-fusion
  • con-fusions Avatar Autor
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
Mehr
01 Jun 2011 18:00 #1323 von con-fusion
Questions After First Game wurde erstellt von con-fusion
After playing what we believe to be the first game of Freebooter's Fate in Northern Virginia, my opponent and I were left with a some questions:

1) If there is an item of terrain between an attacker and defender, the defender gets cover. However, it appears that a defender only gets cover from deep woods if the defender is within the woods. Does this mean that the defender does not get cover from deep woods between the defender and the attacker if the defender is not in the woods? In our particular situation, neither model was in the woods, they were just shooting at eachother through the trees.

2) We played on a 90cm by 90cm table. We noticed that the deployment zones had use smacked up against eachother from the get-go. Is there a rule of thumb for scaling deployment zones and terrain for the size of the table?

3) We drew cards to determine the order for placing terrain, choosing deployment zones, setting up, and first turn initiative. We did four separate card draws. Was this correct? If so, and we drew 1s in any of these draws, should we have drawn an event card? Should we have reshuffled before determining first turn initiative, as the other draws were for set up rather than game play?

4) We had a number of situations where a fleeing model, in running directly away from its attacker, had to flee directly at another enemy or into terrain. We had these fleeing models move around the obstacles in question rather than into or through them. Was this correct? If not, is there some penalty for fleeing directly into an enemy model or for attempting to scale a massive sheer surface while running away in panic?

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
01 Jun 2011 23:44 #5902 von morkin
morkin antwortete auf Questions After First Game
First game in Northern Virginia? That sounds familiar. Did you not announce that on a meetup website recently? Good to hear from you guys, I saw that announcement and tried to contact you to wish you happy gaming, but couldn't find a way to get in contact without registering. Did it go well?

Anyway, on to the questions.

1) Not quite. The defender only gets a cover bonus if it is in base-to-base contact with the item of scenery. So if he was on the other side of a wood but in base to base contact with it, the defender would get a cover bonus. If the wood is just somewhere ion the line of fire and nobody is in base-to-base contact with it, then nobody gets a cover bonus for it. Please note that a wood cannot be more than 10cm across for a character to shoot through it, that's the maximum visibility for a character inside, and consequently through, a wood.

2) All the scenarios were designed with a 120 x 120 cm table in mind, so you'd have to adjust distances accordingly. The distance from deployment zone to deployment zone or objective area is more important than the size of the deployment zone itself. In general, we haven't found a need to scale down the size of terrain, but you will have to adjust the number of pieces. Also, it is unavoidable that the plot will thicken much faster on a smaller table, so to speak.

3) Yes, if you want to use the card-drawing method for all these things, that was correct. And any "1" does indeed entitle you to an event card, that is not restricted to the actual game. That also means that you shouldn't reshuffle the pile. Once you start drawing cards with all consequences, you keep going till the pile is through.

4) A model wouldn't flee straight into an enemy model. You can swerve around a lone enemy in your path, just like you can swerve around a single tree or similar. Terrain, however, will not deter a fleeing model from moving through it, even if it cannot hope to make it (as in trying to climb an obstacle that is too high for it). Normal penalties and movement reductions apply. If the model could have successfully overcome the obstacle when healthy and starting its active phase in base-to-base contact with the obstacle, the model has to try and overcome it when fleeing. Even though it may not make it. On the plus side, a fall would end panic automatically, provided, of course, the character survives it. Only if the character couldn't have done it under ideal conditions is it allowed to flee around an obstacle. See also the FAQ on this.

• con-fusion
  • con-fusions Avatar Autor
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
Mehr
02 Jun 2011 17:04 #5909 von con-fusion
con-fusion antwortete auf Questions After First Game
Morkin,

Thanks for the quick response. We organized the game through a Northern Virginia board/tabletop game Meetup site. It was a great time, and a good number of people (including store staff) stopped by to watch the game in action, check out the minis (we had around 25 minis built for the game for people to look at), and ask questions. I expect that by the next time we play, many of those onlookers will have been transformed into participants.

We played a Brotherhood vs. Goblins starter box game. Terrain was crowded, and the size of the board without changes to set up had us in striking distance on turn 1. My Brotherhood lost after taking out Malo Gorbad, but it could have gone either way. I was blocking his attacks and scoring with my own at around a 90% rate, but three 1s in a row while taking damage on my Master Assassin, Bonaccia, and the Harlequin offset the advantage thoroughly. I haven't laughed that much at the ups and downs of a tabletop game in years. Freebooter's Fate is pure fun.

- Brian

Mehr
28 Aug 2012 08:52 #10277 von Arrrr
Arrrr antwortete auf Questions After First Game
Sry to reanimate this one, but i need to be sure if i got it right.

morkin schrieb: 1) Not quite. The defender only gets a cover bonus if it is in base-to-base contact with the item of scenery. So if he was on the other side of a wood but in base to base contact with it, the defender would get a cover bonus. If the wood is just somewhere ion the line of fire and nobody is in base-to-base contact with it, then nobody gets a cover bonus for it. Please note that a wood cannot be more than 10cm across for a character to shoot through it, that's the maximum visibility for a character inside, and consequently through, a wood.

We had a quite similar situation in our last game. But instead of a wood a tower was in the line of sight. Totol wanted to shoot at my matelot and just barely (really barely^^) saw him (part of the head). Matelot was not in base contact. Does he really get no cover save? We actually played without cover.

Thx

Mehr
28 Aug 2012 09:50 #10278 von morkin
morkin antwortete auf Questions After First Game

Arrrr schrieb: We had a quite similar situation in our last game. But instead of a wood a tower was in the line of sight. Totol wanted to shoot at my matelot and just barely (really barely^^) saw him (part of the head). Matelot was not in base contact. Does he really get no cover save? We actually played without cover.

No, he definitely does not get a cover bonus. No base-to-base contact, no cover bonus. I know that the rule seems counter-intuitive in extreme cases like this. After all, it makes it equally easy for her to hit her opponent when he is standing in full view right in front of her as it does to hit him at the extreme range of her weapon when all she can see and aim at is his nose.

However, in addition to the usual bit about how the miniatures are static and do not necessarily reflect the full range of movement of the characters they are supposed to represent, the rule covers the vast majority of situations arising in actual play situations in a satisfactory and intuitive manner, and that's what we were aiming at. The alternative would be to work out something which involves laser pointers, protractors and some sort of percentage area diagram for each miniature on the field.

Mehr
28 Aug 2012 10:27 #10279 von Arrrr
Arrrr antwortete auf Questions After First Game
Thanks for the quick answer. Yes in the first moment it seems to be a bit strange but it makes sense as you describe it. Thanks again!

Moderatoren: RüdiBratspies
Ladezeit der Seite: 0.101 Sekunden

Foren Suche

Stichwort

Letzte Beiträge

Warenkorb

Gesamtsumme:   0.00 EUR
Zum Warenkorb
Zum Seitenanfang
Mit der Nutzung unserer Dienste/Website erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies verwenden