Topic-icon Wishlist - Freebooter terrain pre-made

• Schmapdi
  • Schmapdis Avatar Autor
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
Mehr
01 Feb 2013 09:50 #802 von Schmapdi
Wishlist - Freebooter terrain pre-made wurde erstellt von Schmapdi
Basically, I saw this on TTGN the other day and can't help but wish someone would do something like this for Freebooter's Fate/

www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2013/01/29/69115/

I mean, I honestly can't even envision what, exactly, Longfall would look like. Spanish colonial mixed with pirate shanty?

But most terrain around is for Medieval/Fantasy, Western, WWII or Modern to Sci-Fi - I've seen a lot of it - but nothing ever feels like a "fit" for FF.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

• Yuggoth
  • Yuggoths Avatar
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
Mehr
04 Feb 2013 08:52 #11488 von Yuggoth
I would love that too!
But from what material would they have to be cast?
Metal? Too expensive and a nightmare to build (All-metal Thunderhawk anyone?).
Plastic? Only afordable in very high productions runs, so thats out of the picture.
Thats only resin left, which also tends to be quite expensive (think Tabletopworld buildings)

I dream of a cooperation with Reaper. "Bones"-plastic would be my choice, since it is cheap, durable and lightweight. But I fear that this is also only possible for higher production runs (its injection molded like traditional plastic, no?)

• visionopy
  • visionopys Avatar
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
Mehr
04 Feb 2013 10:59 #11490 von visionopy
visionopy antwortete auf Wishlist - Freebooter terrain pre-made
Maybe some sets of basic pieces, to build your own modular terrains.
In my opinion this could also be toylike parts as you might know from playmobil or so. Maybe some sets of walls with/without windows, doors and sets of different looking roofs,.... That wouldn't be too expensive, and much easier to individualize as to build from scratch. Also people not keen on building will get simple looking but affordable pieces.
I think, it's always hard to start from a blank page, but also have the motivation to have unique terrain, so "complete" sets as these from Tabletopworld don't suit my wishes (nothing to do with the quality or style - they're great).

• Thargor
  • Thargors Avatar
  • Deckschrubber / Deckhand
  • Deckschrubber / Deckhand
  • To Err is Human. To Arr is Pirate.
Mehr
04 Feb 2013 11:12 #11492 von Thargor
For me, there is already plenty of terrain out there if you look hard enough. The new laser-cut mdf stuff is fantastic and I have bought a couple of pieces for an Old West game that I have. They even do Adobe style buildings that are pretty close to what I have for Freebooter's Fate. I went for a Spanish theme for my buildings so anything with a Mexican/South American style fits.

To be honest though, I really enjoy making my own buildings when I have the time.

Google Translate:

Für mich gibt es bereits reichlich Gelände gibt, wenn man hart genug aussehen. Der neue Laser-cut mdf Zeug ist fantastisch und ich habe ein paar Stücke für ein Old West Spiel, das ich gekauft habe. Sie selbst tun Adobe-Stil Gebäude, die ziemlich nahe, was ich für Freebooter Fate sind. Ich ging für einen spanischen Thema für meine Gebäude so etwas mit einer mexikanischen / südamerikanischen Stil passt.

Um ehrlich zu sein, ich genieße wirklich, meine eigenen Gebäuden, wenn ich die Zeit habe.

• TheCaptain
  • TheCaptains Avatar
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
Mehr
05 Feb 2013 03:14 #11496 von TheCaptain
TheCaptain antwortete auf Wishlist - Freebooter terrain pre-made
Since I really enjoy building terrain myself I wouldn't be interested too much but the other day I read about 3D Printers and the first thing that came to my mind was using them to build tabletop terrain. The prices are getting reasonable - I think about 1500 bucks for a good desktop model - and no question they will drop even more. A good thing is also that patterns can be traded over the web so this could easily be used to build bits like chests, cannons or even palm trees which you will know are quit expensive even if you don't have any artistic skills yourself. But aside from the size there are no limitations, so it could easily be used to print whole buildings or small ships as well. The price for the cartridges was also reasonable so in my opinion this can really get interesting.

• Yuggoth
  • Yuggoths Avatar
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
Mehr
05 Feb 2013 09:19 #11498 von Yuggoth
Afaik those that are "reasonable priced" are still a long way from producing the quality needed for 30mm figures. The last print I saw from a 2000$ maschine had visible stepping all over it and would not be usable without extensive filling and sanding (so much that I would rather start from scratch).
But that beeing said, if printing technologie only moves half as fast as computer technologie, we will be there in a few years.

• woodoo03
  • woodoo03s Avatar
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
Mehr
05 Feb 2013 23:35 #11503 von woodoo03
it might take years for affordable 3d printers at home, but there will be VERY soon 3d printing studios offering their services in good quality. just like in the old times, when we sent our fotos to development studios :)

• Schmapdi
  • Schmapdis Avatar Autor
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
Mehr
06 Feb 2013 03:18 #11504 von Schmapdi
Nobodies talking resins/plastic terrain. I know we're not a big enough niche for that to be profitable/affordable.

But there's a ton of tiny laser-cut MDF manufacturers, and more cropping up all the time. I just think it'd be nice if the FF crew contacted one to try to steer them to something more piratey.

I mean, in the link I posted - that's a whole line being made for a game that's not even released yet.

Mehr
09 Feb 2013 21:02 #11533 von Woodie
MDF, imho, is way to "clean" to be atmospheric for a game set in a run down tropical colony in something that could be our 17th century.
MDF is great for sharp angles, precise details and a clean, futuristic look(see: Sarissa, MAS) but I dont think that rather chaotic surfaces like on timber framed housing, imperfect bricks and alike would look good or even be possible on mdf.

Premade terrain that actually looks good and appropriate might be possible in resin, but most suppliers have hollow, encased blocks with nice surface and no interior at all. But a townscape which is completely free to roam contributes a lot to the fun of FF- or any other skirmish tabletop, imho.

I stick to scratchbuilding.
It eats up a lot(A LOT!) of spare time but is actually rewarding.
And the difference in quality and "soul" makes up for the time spent and money saved.

• Schmapdi
  • Schmapdis Avatar Autor
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
Mehr
10 Feb 2013 02:23 #11534 von Schmapdi
MDF doesn't have to be clean or straight lined at all.

Look at this:

tectoniccraftstudios.com/collections/ter.../products/city-ruins

In fact a few of these would work ok for FF.

tectoniccraftstudios.com/collections/terrain

Kinda pricey for .MDF though. IMO.

• Sinistros
  • Sinistross Avatar
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
  • Bilgeratte / Bilge rat
Mehr
20 Feb 2013 15:28 #11576 von Sinistros
Sinistros antwortete auf Wishlist - Freebooter terrain pre-made
I love my late medival resin building from
www.tabletop-world.com/index.php
but I found some pre-painted Renaissance stuff:

www.4ground.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=284

it looks quit nice, and with some ink an some drybrush it is ready to play
ok its not the same like the fantastic stuff from Tabletop-world, but it works fine.

greetings Sinistros

Moderatoren: RüdiBratspies
Ladezeit der Seite: 0.099 Sekunden

Foren Suche

Stichwort

Letzte Beiträge

Warenkorb

Gesamtsumme:   0.00 EUR
Zum Warenkorb
Zum Seitenanfang
Mit der Nutzung unserer Dienste/Website erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies verwenden